There are some days when we feel sad, or we lose interest in the things that we love, or we don’t feel like doing daily chores. These are the mood fluctuations that people cater to daily, which is quite natural. However, when such emotions persist and affect daily activities substantially, the central reason can be a mood disorder, which is generally termed as depression.
Depression happens to be an ongoing problem involving the episodic portrayal of an irrational feeling of sadness or loss of interest. Each episode lasts for at least two weeks.
Symptoms of depressions:
The signs of depression may vary for men and women. Let’s have a look at the symptoms of depression that are commonly displayed by women;
- Mood swings.
- Lodging on negative thoughts.
When suffering from depression, men most commonly display excessive, irrational behavior, drink alcohol heavily, or indulge in risk-taking activities. The symptoms that they exhibit are;
- Separation from social gatherings/situations and family.
- Working impulsively.
- Loss of interest from responsibilities.
- Insulting or dominating behavior in relationships.
Children may also suffer from depression that may affect their studies and social activities. Do know that your child is depressed when he;
- cries abnormally.
- Complaints about low-energy.
- Gets clingy.
- Exhibits rebellious behavior.
Teenagers are also prone to depression, mainly because of peer pressure or physical changes. The symptoms that they exhibit are;
- strong feelings of helplessness, guilt, and inadequacy.
- Less concentration on work.
- Separation from family and friends.
Upon noticing the signs of depression, one must seek medical help to treat depression. What helps in combating this disorder the most is;
- A drug treatment that involves anti-depressants.
- Psychotherapy or also known as talking therapy that involves a one-to-one session with a therapist.
- Family or social support.
There are some natural medicines, too, such as Lavender, Chamomile, and Gingseng, that help in curing the mild-to-severe depression symptoms.